Our church had its historical beginnings in
the concern of the good people of the Concord Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. Tom Bromall. These people sensed
the need of a witness for Christ in this area and established a Sunday School, and a Preaching point in the home across from
the present building.
The first meeting was Sunday, February 25,1954 and there were 21
present for Sunday School and 21 for Training Union.
Our first pastor was Rev. R.E.Hollan
and he served well and long. We shall ever be grateful to Bro. Hollan and his family for their leadership and for their many
contributions to the life and minstry of our folk and our church.
In November of 1956
our church was constituted as First Baptist of Hoagtown. When in the fall of 1960 the name of the community was changed from
Hoagtown to West Grove the name of the church was automatically changed to the First Baptist of West Grove then in 1986 West
Grove was annexed into Sylvan Springs and we changed our name to First Baptist Church of Sylvan Springs by voting.
Bro. Hollan's minstry came to an end with his resignation in April of 1960. The church called Bro. Horne to serve as interim
pastor and he served from May through July when the church called Rev. Miles Lee Vines. Bro. Miles began his ministry
on the first Sunday in August in 1960 until May of 1965 when he resigned. The church then called Rev. Charles Forrester who
served the church most destingushly and efficiently until he resigned in September of 1968. On November 1, 1968 the church
extended a call to Rev. Lonnie W.Talley who served until 1985 and he resigned. Then the church extended a call to
Rev. C.R.Burns who served until 1989 and he resigned. Then the church called Rev. Jess Tenpenny in 1989 who served until
he resigned in 1996. Rev. David Toxey came and served as interim pastor until 1997. Then the church called
Rev. Billy Hobson in 1997 who served until he resigned in 2002. Then the church called Rev. Cecil Nelson in
2002 who served until he retired in 2010.Then the church called Rev. James Horsley in 2010 to serve as pastor. There
are many people who have contributed much to making our church.
Surely the Lord's
hand has been felt in every undertaking of these 60 years. We are looking to the future with great anticipation of what the
Lord has planned for us.